Build is verified!

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Mar 19 20:25:45 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:00:26 +0000 (UTC)
gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:

> When somebody finds holes in this stuff, I'll listen. But until then,
> clueless inflammatory posts will be redirected to the bitbucket.

Thanks a lot. Thats the last time I stick up for you round here. I've
defended the 'pure LFS' stuff before now, not, evidently, that you care.

would you like to actually explain (as asked) how a broken host compiler
can actually be garaunteed to produce a working compiler from which to
bootstrap other things?

AIUI, the gcc make bootstrap NEVER claimed to be able to do this, and in
fact, has been known to fail starting from buggy compilers.

And I *asked* what the benefit is. I didnt denigrate anyones work, and
Im sorry if you read that into my words. dont read inbetween the lines
of text, theres nothing there.

So, I'll ask again, more directly:

HOW does it garauntee that the compiler (and system) you build is free
from errors introduced by the host compiler?

As I said, ***AS I UNDERSTAND IT, AND I COULD BE WRONG***, you have not
proven it can build correctly from ANY host, just that it can build
repeatably without regression from YOUR host(s).

regression tests *by definition* will not detect a flaw introduced by a
previous iteration, unless the flaw actually causes a change in the
output.

I think an apology is in order...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org