Build is verified!

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Mar 19 20:34:58 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:18:35 +0000 (UTC)
Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> > I wish it could, but (and I could be wrong here) it seems to me that
> > Greg has only proven it works from /his/ host. he hasnt proven that
> > it can work from *any* host, which is what we need to do to satisfy
> > Mr Cox;)
>
> /mine/ too, and one of my test/crash hosts is a pretty weird and
> wonderful thing... built, hacked and modified over the aeons from
> redhat 6 originally(way back when, haven't had the heart to rebuild
> it)... To get a pure build from this mish-mash says a lot ;-)

Agreed. It seems to work well now.

I'd be interested to see the regression detection stuff, but havent had
time to go look yet.

What I'd like to know is:

1) Why its better than a full bootstrap
   (Greg says I shold read for myself, but this means I would need to
spend the time (I dont have) on this to become an expert on GCC build
methodology, which I assume he already is, which makes it odd that he
wont tell me the answer)
   * my guess is that once two iterations of GCC build identical they
(should) continue to build so. but do (say) glibc bugs creep in at all?

2) How can it be *garaunteed* pure, as has been claimed.
   (it *has* been claimed, because in a post where I questioned this, I
was sworn at).
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org