Build is verified!

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 20 11:20:59 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:

>would you like to actually explain (as asked) how a broken host compiler
>can actually be garaunteed to produce a working compiler from which to
>bootstrap other things?
>
>AIUI, the gcc make bootstrap NEVER claimed to be able to do this, and in
>fact, has been known to fail starting from buggy compilers.
>
>HOW does it garauntee that the compiler (and system) you build is free
>from errors introduced by the host compiler?

I don't think the pure_lfs stuff was ever claimed as producing a clean
lfs starting from a broken host system.

 From what I understand it claimed that the resulting lfs would be clean
if starting from a decent host environment, which the current method of
building cannot guarantee. It also claims that the range of hosts that
can boostrap lfs is increased (the current method fails if some of the
host packages are old).

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/