Build is verified!

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Thu Mar 20 18:48:00 PST 2003

> In other words, we are basically cross compiling to produce ch5. (cross
> compilers, by nature, being unbootstrapped creatures).

No, not cross compiling... cross linking.
Host arch and OS are the same

cross compiling is a completely different kettle of fish...

> does pure LFS actually cross compile? if not, why? cross compiling has
> advantages such as not needing (potentially) uname hacks to work on old
> hosts...

Why, because there is so much manual intervention required, hacking
configures to produce the right options as the aclocal tests cannot run due
to the inability to test certain stuff, the inability to run the freshly
compiled app during the course of the build therefore we would be using the
host system binaries up until the point of chroot... Probably more but
thats all I can come up with off the top of my head...

A full cross compile IMHO is only required if you are coming from another
OS or attempting to build an image for a different arch, both not for the
faint of heart.

If thats the way you want to go you'd need to do a static cross-compile
with much hacking, install a kernel then run the Pure LFS build hoping all
of your tools built correctly (no make checks runnable during a
cross-build... )

That'd be far too convoluted for the book...

> IOW, libc migration is much easier. (a good thing if you need it).

We'll need it again in the future, next time however we probably won't have
to totally rearrange the book to do so ( here's hoping anyway :-) )

Good questions mate, hope this clarifies things a little...
Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org