Build is verified!

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 22 11:29:28 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:

>Basically, my original statement (which I stood by then and do now) was
>correct - Plfs doesnt garauntee a good build from any toolchain. What it
>does do is give you a pretty good idea (thanks to the testing it does)
>that your new build is consistent.

Not just because of the testing, but also because of the way it is
built. Pass1-binutils is built using the host-gcc and host-glibc.
Pass1-gcc is built using the Pass1-binutils and host-glibc. Then glibc
is built using Pass1-binutils and Pass1-gcc. Then Pass2-binutils and
Pass2-gcc are rebuilt against the new glibc.

Hence all that is needed is a proper host gcc that is capable of
building the new binutils and new gcc. This is not true in the way the
current lfs is built. I think you are confusing the word "any
toolchain". Any toolchain does not mean a broken toolchain. If your host
compiler silently compiles incorrect code, there are no guarantees.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org