New build scripts v2.2.1

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Sun Mar 23 15:02:41 PST 2003

Arjan Oosting wrote:
> While i was browsing to through the buildscripts
> i saw an 'export LDFLAGS="-s"' line,
> but that almost all packages are build with
> CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ./configure <options> &&
> make LDFLAGS="-s"
> Why are the flags exported AND given when make is called?

Laziness :-) Seriously though so it is explicitly used during the make, and
it is visible to the readers of the script that these flags are used.
The env var could be dropped...

> Is it possible to add the LDFLAGS to the configure line,
> like this:
> 'LDFLAGS="-" CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ./configure <options>'

Possibly, but for some packages it requires being added to the environment
for make... I'd have to go through all the packages and recheck them...
probably won't happen for a week or so...

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org