problem with /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Sun Mar 23 15:57:16 PST 2003

> On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 07:51, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, zigman2k wrote:
> >
> > > at the end of pure_lfs build there is
> > > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/
> > > in /etc/ld.so.conf
> > >
> > > does that need to stay there ( my g++ compiler stops working after
removing it )

> > I posed the same question awhile back and was told it needs to stay.
> > Just append the additional stuff to it.
>
> Hrmm... That baffles me.  I suppose I'll have to go look at the new
> documentation and see exactly why this directory has become important.
> (I don't have it, never have, and it's not like there's much in that
> directory to begin with)

Its no real mystery, its due to using version specific runtime libs...
This keeps all the c++ stuff out of the standard libdirs.

I guess I should make this optional, but I'll explain why I use it.

Main reason is I have a tendency to supply systems to developers, who of
course all want to run with different compilers and c++ libraries for
building their apps (of course, why would they work together ;-) ). Using
version specific runtime libs allows you to get away with this by having
all the stuff install OUTSIDE /usr/lib so nothing clobbers eachother.

I've been adding the full path to the c++ libs in ld.so.conf out of
laziness, ( usually I expect this to be set in LD_LIBRARY_PATH of the
calling shell ).

I'll stick an option in for next release to choose to enable this or not...

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org