possible bug in pure lfs

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Mar 24 07:06:35 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:51:56 +0100
Axel <axel.azerty at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> > No. because c++ never bootstraps anyway, IIRC. its written in C.
> >

> Nothing to deal with that, but can someone give me a french word for
> "bootstrap" ?

Im not sure of a french word, but 'bootstrap' probably derived from the
old expression 'to pull oneself up by ones bootstraps', which is, of
course impossible.

its used to describe the fact the the C ompiler is being compiled by a C
compiler, probably itself in an earlier incarnation at first, but then
deliberately built again by itself, for the purposes of optimisation.

GCC uses a third stage, which is used to see if the 'optimised' stage is
able to self replicate without error.

--
Don't support the war. Join Bjorns boycott of American products.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org