Bootstrap

Morris, Adam AMorris at providence.org
Mon Mar 24 09:41:26 PST 2003

HP and Sun both refer to booting.  HP use a two stage method, where the
firmware loads the ISL (Initial System Loader) which then boots the OS.  The
firmware offers various bits of functionality (search for bootable devise,
and so on...).  On a Sun the machine has a boot monitor (similar to the
firmware on an HP and the BIOS on a PC) which allows you to perform various
levels of diagnostics, but it doesn't appear to employ the two stage method
of HP.  IBM also refer to booting, but on the lower end machines the
firmware is simple and boots straight into the OS (pretty much) on the
higher end machines with partitioning (one large machine looks like several
smaller ones running multiple distinct OSes) you load up the partition
manager first then you can tell the machine how to boot individual
partitions.

Does this help?

In the non-unix world I don't know though...

Adam