New build scripts v2.2.1

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Mar 29 18:10:21 PST 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 01:21:23PM +0100, Arjan Oosting wrote:
> Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> >Comments/patches/additions all welcome...
> Hi,
>
> While i was browsing to through the buildscripts
> i saw an 'export LDFLAGS="-s"' line,
> but that almost all packages are build with
> CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ./configure <options> &&
> make LDFLAGS="-s"
> Why are the flags exported AND given when make is called?
> Is it possible to add the LDFLAGS to the configure line,
> like this:
> 'LDFLAGS="-" CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ./configure <options>'

Yes. LDFLAGS on the configure line will work for most packages.

I'm sure I pointed out to Ryan at some stage that   make LDFLAGS="-s"   was
redundant if already exported into the environment :-)  The only packages
that need it on the command line are the non-bootstrapped gcc and binutils
plus a few misc packages like bzip2, flex, e2fsprogs & netkit-base. There is
a note in the hint about this.

Starting to wish I never put the flags stuff into the hint as it is
distracting from the main focus.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org