Purity Iteration Analysis - the results are in..

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Mar 29 18:34:25 PST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 09:00:18PM -0500, James Smaby wrote:
> What if there are several differences in that file, not just the date?
> Should probably take a diff of a hexdump instead of a strings dump.
>   xxd iter1/usr/bin/perl > 1
>   xxd iter2/usr/bin/perl > 2
>   diff -u 1 2

Of course. But I s'pose I failed to mention that there is no point in doing
the strings comparison unless the binaries are the same size. If the
binaries are obviously different then one has to go back to the build dirs
to discover the reasons. That is how I discovered the gcc mmap_test thing
amongst others.

> Now showing that a pure-lfs is self-replicating is one step; it's nice
> and all to show that this is true for all kinds of different hosts, but
> what I'm really interested in is if they converge to the same system.
> Take the build from your redhat host, and compare it to something
> built from lfs, slackware, debian, etc.  If they all produce the same
> system (I've got my fingers crossed), then I will be very happy.

Agreed. I plan to do this at some stage. I'm fairly confident that they will
converge which will make me very happy too :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org