GRUB/LILO: I am beating a dead horse?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu May 1 10:21:58 PDT 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003 16:30:23 +0000 (UTC)
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:

> On May 1, 2003 09:24 am, Al T. wrote:
> > there any decision in the end about it?  Or will GRUB simply become
> > the new boot loader?
>
> For now Grub will simply replace LILO, just to get started. Time will
> tell if there is enough demand for having LILO as well, although it
> could very well be written in an LFS-Hint as an alternative (like we
> do with editors right now).

Oh please, NOT AGAIN!

1) Why replace LILO when it simply needs moving and having a grub
section added. removing it just to add it again later seems rather a
waste of effort...

2) You know perfectly well that the Grub / LILO userbases (that care to
speak up) are matched about 50:50 at last time this came up, so its your
own personal choice if grub replaces lilo - dont pretend its a
democratic thing. (not that I mind - its your project, and the userbase
is split 50:50. but dont pretend its because GRUB is better or has a
majority because it doesnt. Either both or neither bootloader should be
relegated to hints. no one one way and one the other.

Just my 2p (again)

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with

Systems programmers keep it up longer.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org