How will pure-lfs be integrated?

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 10:34:52 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On May 1, 2003 02:04 am, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
>
>>So if you integrate explanations please consider simple phrasing which
>>can be understood by everyone.
>

> Yes we will have to find a middle ground of course. I don't want to
> oversimplify things like "this patch will fix some problem, or this change
> will just make GCC work for our purposes". Maybe that can be the first
> sentence so people get the general idea, followed by a more in-depth
> explanation can could be skipped as long as you know what the basic idea
> behind a patch/method is. How does that sound?

Agreed.  The book is meant for an educated computer and OS user with
Linux experience.  The addition of the essential pre-reading hint will
also help some.  If readers actually read the material provided and
pointed to by the hint, it will help with a lot of things.  However,
that said, most will skip the hint wanting to "get their hands dirty" so
as much explanation as you feel is good is what I am looking for.  Don't
"dumb" it down too much and only go into as much detail as you feel is
required to get the point across.  Somewhere in between "this patch will
fix some problem, or this change will just make GCC work for our
purposes" and 5 pages on the internals of GGC's issues with compiling on
various platforms under certain curcumstances.  This, I am thinking, is
what you mean by "middle ground".  Keep up with the good work, I look
forward to trying testing more of PLFS.

BTW - Got my 4.1 printed book yesterday.  It is sweet!

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org