Any idea when gcc 3.3 will be out?

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu May 1 17:01:16 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 23:34, Matt Reppert wrote:
> On 01 May 2003 17:32:27 +0800
> Steve Bougerolle <steveb at creek-and-cowley.com> wrote:

> > On the other hand, I'm not really so interested in waiting for 3.3 itself,
> > I just want to know: does it break binary compatibility as they feared it
> > might (again)?  If not I'll go ahead with 3.2.3 and upgrade to 3.3 later.
>
> Which they? As far as I've heard, no.

Months back (around October, I think) the GCC people announced that they were
taking their time with GCC3.2 to try to do everything right, rather than
release it quickly and then have to make more changes to GCC3.3 that would make
it binary incompatible with 3.2 (in the same way 3.2 was incompatible with 3.1
and 3.1 incompatible with 3.0).   I think their exact wording was something
like "this will lessen the chances of gcc 3.3 being binary incompatible later
on".

Upon reading that I got more than a bit irritated at the state of gcc
development and vowed not to try any new gcc's until they straightened out
this compatibility mess.  It looks like we are close to that point and MAYBE
at it already but I would like to make sure.

--
Steve Bougerolle <steveb at creek-and-cowley.com>
Creek & Cowley Consulting

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org