PLFS suggested chapter 6-perl change (add /etc/hosts)

Xinkui Hao tram at 8bb8.com
Fri May 2 15:10:57 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003 17:41:33 +0000 (UTC)
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:

>   * perl - be sure to perform the "Creating the /etc/hosts file"
>   commands
> before the perl installation
>
> Is the only reason for doing so to be able to pass the 'make check'
> (or was it make test) phase? If not necessary (other than for cosmetic
> purposes) I rather keep that in chapter 7 with the rest of the
> networking.

AFAIK, this will ensure you have identical binaries after a *rebuild* of
Chapter 6.

>From pure lfs hint:
Something to think about here, theoretically, one should be able to take
a newly built LFS and use it to rebuild itself (essentially perform
Chapter 6 again without the assistance of the /stage1 stuff) and have it
reproduce identical bytes. We have performed an "Iterative Analysis" of
this and hope to present an automated way of verifying it in the future.
But for now, from our findings we are able to make the following
recommendations so as to ensure code repeatability

--
Xinkui Hao <tram at 8bb8.com>
LFS & BLFS Translations of Chinese: http://lfs.cosoft.org.cn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org