PLFS suggested chapter 6-perl change (add /etc/hosts)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Fri May 2 15:31:48 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 04:17:23PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On May 2, 2003 04:10 pm, Xinkui Hao wrote:
> > AFAIK, this will ensure you have identical binaries after a *rebuild* of
> > Chapter 6.
>
> I guess the hint means rebuilding chapter 6 after you went through chapters 7
> and 8 first then. If you do chapter 6 immediately without doing chapter 7
> first I don't see how the /etc/hosts file comes into play.

Actually, it means "this is what must be done for repeatability", not
"finish the book, then start over with Chapter6 for repeatability". So I
guess it depends on whether or not such a (possibly) trivial thing is
worth reorganizing the book for or not. I think the repeatability is
really just a measure of the purity of the method, but probably not
required for any real difference.

Again, though, I claim ignorance compared to the level of what Ryan and
Greg know.

--
Archaic

--
The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government
off the backs of the people.

- Justice William O. Douglas

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org