v2.2.8 of plfs buildscripts is most recent?

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Fri May 2 19:56:39 PDT 2003

> On May 2, 2003 07:16 am, James Iwanek wrote:
> > it also may be caused by the fact that qt was compiled with the old
method
> > and kde was compiled with the new method, but as i said im no closer to
> > fix than before (sorry)
>
> I'll keep it in mind. I'll keep --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs in
> there for now until we decide we're better off without.

Its fine to leave the --enable-version-specific-runtime option in ch5,
but people may have issues later on in ch6 and later.

This is pretty much personal preference of mine and I wouldnt deem it
appropriate
to foist it on the masses unless thay know what they're doing.

I use it mainly because I run a lot of compilers, most people don't.
Its in there soley to keep any gcc/g++ etc libraries and headers out of the
main lib/include locations.

This causes issues for people using c++ as the includes and libs are in a
version specific directory
So to build you need to pass compiler flags such as
-I/usr/gcc-lib/${TARGET_TRIPLE}/${GCC_VER}/include/c++
to get at the includes

Alternatively a symlink can be added into /usr/include to point here, but
you
have to repoint the symlink if you choose to use a different version of c++
libs

--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs would probably make it very hard for
newbies,
but is a boon for anyone who constantly has to switch compilers and c++
versions.

Maybe some mention of the option should be made for ch6 builds, but I
wouldn't
recommend it as the default (think of the number of support posts it would
generate
from the c'n'p crowd...<shudder>)

My $0.02
[R]