Chapter 5 - Glibc make check error

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat May 3 04:07:49 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> It seems I am not the only one with make check errors during chapter 5's Glibc
> make check phase.
>
> The error I got was:
>
> Timed out: the child process got signal Real-time signal 5
> make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/stage1/build/glibc-build/resolv/tst-leaks.out] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/stage1/build/glibc-2.3.2/resolv'
>
> I re-ran make check after that error and it seemed it started all the tests
> from the very beginning (starting with the iconvdata ones) but on the second
> try it didn't fail at the resolv tests.
>
> Anyways, timeouts aren't that uncommon as I've read on this list. This does

IIRC, only one occurrence was reported and that was on a *very* slow
system.

> bring up a question: should we add a line or two in the book that if timeout
> errors are encountered during make check's, it should be ignored and simply
> restart 'make check' (kind of a pain with Glibc as it takes so long) and see
> if it works better next time?

IMO, some verbiage about unloading the build machine and restart, and a
mention of the fix to change the TIMEOUT value(s) on old/slow eqpt.
would be appropriate. Also, as Ryan suggested during the occurrence of
that timeout, if doing chapter 5, just skip on ahead as chapter 6 is the
important one.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com