man pages

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Sat May 3 15:33:55 PDT 2003

Ken Moffat wrote:
> there is a "missing man pages" project
http://www.netmeister.org/misc/m2p2/index.html
this may be better than the OpenBSD man pages... but i have yet to check
either to any great detail.

> packages such as diffutils now use help2man to create the man pages
http://www.gnu.org/software/help2man

this is tiny! (13K) and only requires perl... why dont we install this
in the LFS toolchain and use it for (at least a short term) solution for
missing man pages? for me;

`help2man tar | gzip > /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz`

has saved me hitting my head and having to type `man --help` when i am
not thinking right...

i think there should (at least) be some infrastruture set up for new/old
LFS users to write and submit man pages. a request in the last paragraph
of LFS couldn't hurt anyone :-D its something we can all do, but nobody
ever really points it out... or asks us to do directly.

Sam
--
Three minutes' thought would suffice to find this out; but thought is
irksome and three minutes is a long time.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org