man pages

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 3 17:00:12 PDT 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Sam Halliday wrote:

> > packages such as diffutils now use help2man to create the man pages
> http://www.gnu.org/software/help2man
>
> this is tiny! (13K) and only requires perl... why dont we install this
> in the LFS toolchain and use it for (at least a short term) solution for
> missing man pages? for me;
>
> `help2man tar | gzip > /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz`
>
> has saved me hitting my head and having to type `man --help` when i am
> not thinking right...
>
> i think there should (at least) be some infrastruture set up for new/old
> LFS users to write and submit man pages. a request in the last paragraph
> of LFS couldn't hurt anyone :-D its something we can all do, but nobody
> ever really points it out... or asks us to do directly.
>
> Sam

 I think people contributing man pages is great, but adding extra
packages into LFS surely isn't the way.  Think about the `which' flame
wars - that's something a lot of packages depend on, but it doesn't
belong in LFS.  Man pages can be removed to save space, although I agree
they are good to have.

 Actually, I'm getting into info pages now - when I first wanted to use
awk, my test machine had gawk and I found the info pages comprehensive and
helpful, but when I first found linux I thought man pages were easier.
I still take Seth's point about missing examples, but I don't think
making LFS bigger achieves anything.

Ken
--
Live Long or Prosper! No, wait, that wasn't it...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org