man pages

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon May 5 13:41:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 10:17, Seth W.Klein wrote:
> "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 17:00, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > >  Actually, I'm getting into info pages now -
> >
> > Me too.
> > I never thought info was that useful until recently - but it seems to me
> > to be a far superior method of documentation opposed to man.
>
> 1) Man pages are easy to skim (the standard macros use indentation
>    to indicate sections so you can just press the page down key as
>    fast as your eye can follow)
> 2) Man encourage brevity which is critical if you don't have all
>    day or need to verify that the page is up-to-date

That is true. Man is not obsolete and I should not say that info is
supeerior - not in all respects, anyway. Often I find myself in
situations where I need more than just the brevity and sometime find man
pages lacking. It depends on the man page. Some are better written than
others ;)

info is certainly superior to what some vendors now do - provide
documentation in an html directory ...

With the ls example, it's rather easy to get to the options. They aren't
all on the same node, but it's easy to page through them, and are a
little more descriptive than the man page if you need them to be. So its
a little more effort in your example than just typing 'man ls', but if
you want/need more information - it's better than man, I find myself
needing to load up google less often (which often is very futile due to
the number of man2html servers out there - it can be HARD to get more
info than man provides - even on google!)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org