Hello World...

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed May 7 06:35:48 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:05:16 +0000 (UTC)
himicos at hotmail.com ("Christos Gioran") wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This mail, besides being a greeting to this maillist and a report on the
> successful build of a PLFS system, also makes some remarks.....
>
> With the base book being that of version 4.0 and using parts from
> v4.0-rc1

Erm, why? rc1 (release candidate) is older than 4.0 and therefore using
4.0 should have been fine.  What specific parts did you feel were
necessary from the rc1 release?

> I procedeed according to the instructions in the hint text
> "pure lfs" by Ryan Oliver and Greg Schafer. I DID NOT use the packages
> from the LFS site neither the versions used in the book. Instead I
> downloaded the latest versions (at the time I begun this project) from
> their official download locations. Their version numbers, along with my
> hardware configuration, are included at the end of this message, as a
> reference.
>
> Some things I would like to point out are:
> 1. While ./configure-ing Bison at chapter 6, it aborted complaining that
> M4 wasn't present.

It's been updated in LFS-4.1.  It's because of the newer version of bison
you are using.

> 2. Lilo was the big
> surprise. Make-ing it aborted with Error 127, protesting that it could
> not find nasm.

And this is why LiLo hasn't been updated.  Requiring two different
assemblers is just daft (IMO).

> 3. Modutils would not
> compile, saying that at one of the source files ":
encountered while
> expecting ; or |". Downloading a more recent source tarball from
> ftp:\\ftp.kernel.org solved all problems connected with this package.

It's interesting that you had this problem yet you state you only used
flex-2.5.4a (2.5.31 is available now but is known to break modutils
compilation without applying a patch first).  Maybe it was the updated
bison version that broke the build.

As you can see, a lot of the issues you encountered are due to using newer
versions of the packages than were listed in the version of the book you
were using.  In future (I appreciate this was your first LFS attempt) it
would be worth following the discussions on lfs-dev to keep abreast of
such problems and even help diagnose and fix them.

> If there is anything further I can do to help in this project, i
> would be glad to hear.

*tongue firmly in cheek*
Yep, delete your newly installed LFS-4.0/PLFS hybrid installation :)  Then
rebuild using the latest CVS instructions (which now incorporate the PLFS
hint) available at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs and help to
test it out.  Once you've done that then delete that installation, rebuild
and test ad infinitum :)

Regards,

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org