Ch 5 Kernel Headers

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Wed May 7 10:17:10 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>On May 7, 2003 12:36 am, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
>

>>On that point, is there any reason why we arent copying the kernel headers
>>to $LFS/usr/include as well as /stage1/include during the ch5 build?
>>(CVS version, possibly a little out of date so sorry in advance if this is
>>fixed)
>>
>>Saves us 1 section in the book and a smidgeon of time...
>>

>I want to confine chapter 5 to $LFS/stage1/ only, to keep it seperatated from
>the actual LFS installation.
>
>If you were to put $LFS/stage1/ onto another system, you should be able to
>install a full LFS by just going through chapter 6. If you have to keep track
>of stuff done in chapter 5 to the regular LFS filesystem ($LFS/usr for
>example) the separation becomes much less clear and tidy.
>
>I rather run the few extra commands and keep the separation.

In the same spirit, I would like to suggest moving the "Adjusting
toolchain" from after Chapter 6 glibc to the end of Chapter 5. That way
there is no messing with the /stage1 after chrooting. The advantage is
that /stage1 could be burned to a CD and mounted on the would be LFS system.

Moving it to the end of Chapter 5 would mean adding the following
symlink at the begining of Ch 6.

    ln -s /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Since glibc would be the only package affected by the change it should
be easy to check out if there are any negative effects. I was planning
to test it out, but am without a machine right now:(

--
Tushar Teredesai
  E-mail:    tushartATabbnmDOTcom

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org