Change /stage1 to ... ?

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 7 19:54:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:29:29AM +0100, richard at nezumi.plus.com wrote:
> On 2003-05-07 17:00:24 +0000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> >
> > I think it was Alex G. who came up with "staging" and I quite liked it.
> > Afterall, Ch 5 is a temporary staging area which we use to build the final
> > clean system in Ch 6.
> >
> I would prefer something like to avoid putting a symlink on the root
> filesystem so how about:
> /stage1          becomes /mnt/lfs/staging
> /mnt/lfs/stage1/ becomes /mnt/lfs/mnt/lfs/staging/

Well, I suppose the real issue is this - Is putting a single symlink on the
host system a bad thing?

If the answer is yes, then your method looks like it should work (I haven't
tested it tho') but it could generate lots of confusion.

Personally, I don't mind the single symlink.

> Even better would be to avoid adding to the path so packages cannot
> hardcode the wrong path. This looks a bt more tricky than it was with
> LFS-4.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're getting at there.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org