MAKEDEV & devpts filesystem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 7 21:03:00 PDT 2003

On May 7, 2003 08:18 pm, Larry Lawrence wrote:
> The problem I have is that I don't know the cons of devpts, so it's hard

The big con is that devpts manages the PTY's automatically (xterms use them,
ssh sessions, pretty much everything except virtual consoles). If you a bunch
of static files, you have a finite number of sessions you can run at one
time. Moreoever you have a lot of device files in /dev and it is extremely
cluttered. devpts just creates the files on-the-fly that you actually use.
Right now I have 5 xterms open, which correspond to /dev/pts/0 through
/dev/pts/4 - when I close an xterm, that device file is removed.

It's like having devfs - only seeing devices files that you are actually using
at the moment and it's managed by the kernel so you don't have to worry about
creating enough files, and the right ones.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org