coreutils - tail -f broken ???

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Wed May 7 22:09:57 PDT 2003

> I cannot find any mention of "_POSIX2_VERSION" in the gcc-3.3 source so I
> don't really know what is going on.

Its set in posix/unistd.h ( included bu <unistd.h> )
>From Glibc CVS 20030404
#define _POSIX2_VERSION 200112L

Looking through the coreutils list...

* The _POSIX2_VERSION environment variable lets you select which version
  of POSIX the utilities should conform to.
  Set _POSIX2_VERSION=3D199209 to cause the utilities to support
  obsolete usage like "sort +1".
* The following obsolete usages are no longer supported when conforming
  to POSIX 1003.1-2001, which prohibits most digit-string options:
    expand -N   (instead, use expand -t N)
    head -N     (instead, use head -c N or head -n N)
    fold -N     (instead, use fold -w N)
    split -N    (instead, use split -l N)
    tail -N     (instead, use tail -c N or tail -n N)
    unexpand -N (instead, use unexpand --first-only -t N)
    uniq -N     (instead, use uniq -f N)
  The following obsolete usages (options without arguments) are no
  longer supported when conforming to POSIX 1003.1-2001, which
  prohibits most options with optional arguments:
    od -s       (instead, use od --strings)
    od -w       (instead, use od --width)
    pr -S       (instead, use pr --sep-string)

Looks like it'll only affect us doing CVS glibc builds, but it is a gotcha
thats going to have to be noted for future reference...

So it looks like we still have to update every package we find and fix ALL
instances of the above, or downgrade our posix conformance when using glibc
cvs.

Arggghhhh
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org