coreutils - tail -f broken ???

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu May 8 05:53:07 PDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

>On Thu, 8 May 2003 12:18:04 +0000 (UTC)
>lfsbill at wlmcs.com (Bill Maltby - LFS Related) wrote:
>

>> Yes. Take a simple 2 character parameter that is logical, for it use,
>> and turn it into 4 or more. Better for users and programmers, right?
>> Standardization regardless! M$ wins another round. I said "piss on 'em
>> all" when they started the drive to eliminate the single-character
>> keywords. That is the ultimate goal, I think.
>
>I think thats a little ott...
>
>I see (like you) no reason to rename the commands at this point, but
>parameter passing would be nice to have standardised - then there
>wouldnt be so much man-page reading when you forgot how to pass a
>parameter to xyz program...

I agree that standardization is good. But exceptions to the rule, where
justified by "naturalness", convenience, efficiency, etc. could often be
justified. Further, with GUIs available for those who prefer non-CLI
usage, the need for long-form parameters is dubious because those who
prefer to work at CLI will (usually?) also prefer the single-character
parameters.

Oh well... OT. No more.

--
Bill Maltby