Creating /stage1 symlink and read-only root filesystem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 9 22:51:28 PDT 2003

This issue was brought up in some email which I thought deserves its own
thread.

This issue is about to come very real to me. I'm actually preparing here to
update all my 6 computers to various levels of LFS-CVS and with it
repartioning harddisks. So an LFS-CVS based bootcd will be created and used.

Technically I'm perfectly ok creating a symlink on the cdrom /stage1 ->
/mnt/lfs - it's sensible enough for my own uses, but it does raise the
question when non-LFS cdroms are used for installation on bare harddisks,
creating a symlink is not an option.

Since we don't really "support" installation from cdroms at the moment and
assume a normal distribution installed on a harddisk, this won't be a show
stopper as far as LFS development and the current build method is concerned.
But, I think we can all agree that it would be a lot more robust if we can
find a way around this. There is of course always the old-LFS aka unpure-LFS
(UPLFS?) way of doing things if need be, but not desirable for all the
obvious reasons.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org