gcc-2.95.3 --enable-languages problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 10 17:01:28 PDT 2003

On May 10, 2003 05:51 pm, Jochen Schröder wrote:
> Hi,
> There seems to be a problem with the --enable-languages switch from
> gcc-2.95.x (2 and 3). If gcc is compiled with this option it barfs on
> the -Wreturn-type switch, which came up when compiling the nvidia
> drivers (see Pure LFS gcc-2.95.3 thread on support). The Problem is also
> mentioned here :
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-05/msg00056.html

I was about to hit <enter> to email this exactly same message to this list too
to take over from the discussion on lfs-support. GMTA I guess.

The thread started on lfs-support with subject of "Pure LFS gcc-2.95.3" dated
May 10th. Not yet in archives as of this writing.

The easy fix for this problem seems to simply pass --enable-languages=c,c++
which makes -Wreturn-type available to the C compiler.

We can try to create a patch but I doubt upstream would have much interest. It
being an old compiler and all.

I've bugzilla'd the issue until we decide to --enable-languages=c,c++ or
create a patch for it.

BTW: I've not actually read that passing c,c++ fixes the problem, only that it
appears to fix it. So, some testing is desired.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org