gcc-2.95.3 --enable-languages problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 10 17:16:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On May 10, 2003 05:51 pm, Jochen Schröder wrote:
> > Hi,
> > There seems to be a problem with the --enable-languages switch from
> > gcc-2.95.x (2 and 3). If gcc is compiled with this option it barfs on
> > the -Wreturn-type switch, which came up when compiling the nvidia
> > drivers (see Pure LFS gcc-2.95.3 thread on support). The Problem is also
> > mentioned here :
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-05/msg00056.html
>
> I was about to hit <enter> to email this exactly same message to this list too
> to take over from the discussion on lfs-support. GMTA I guess.
>
> The thread started on lfs-support with subject of "Pure LFS gcc-2.95.3" dated
> May 10th. Not yet in archives as of this writing.
>
> The easy fix for this problem seems to simply pass --enable-languages=c,c++
> which makes -Wreturn-type available to the C compiler.
>
> We can try to create a patch but I doubt upstream would have much interest. It
> being an old compiler and all.
>
> I've bugzilla'd the issue until we decide to --enable-languages=c,c++ or
> create a patch for it.
>
> BTW: I've not actually read that passing c,c++ fixes the problem, only that it
> appears to fix it. So, some testing is desired.

 I've just finished rebuilding gcc-2.95.3 with --enable-languages=c,c++
and I now get

ken at ppg_penguin ~$gcc -Wreturn-type test.c
test.c:3: warning: return type defaults to `int'
test.c: In function `main':
test.c:5: warning: control reaches end of non-void function

 So from now on I'll be enabling c++ in 2.95.3.  My reading of the
reference was that the code is only built for c++ although it can be
used for both c and c++.  As to making a patch, that seems a waste of
effort, except that people will need to download "fat gcc".

Ken
--
Live Long or Prosper! No, wait, that wasn't it...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org