GCC 2.95.3 [LFS/BLFS conflicts]

conathan at conet.dyndns.org conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Sun May 11 13:35:33 PDT 2003

I was comparing the instructions found at

http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/general/gcc2.html
and
http://linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter06/gcc-2953.html

The BLFS says
../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc2 \
  --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++ \
  --enable-threads=posix
and LFS CVS says
../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-2.95.3 \
  --enable-shared --enable-languages=c
and LFS 3.3 says
../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/usr
  --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++
  --enable-threads=posix

I only included 3.3, as it used to be the official way.

First off, we install LFS CVS, and BLFS's version of GCC 2.95.3 into 2
slightly different locations.

Also, the last lfs-book commit I seen includes C++ support (not in book,
so I never added it to instructions above [to nitpick, it never said
--enable-threads=posix, but I have no clue what that does.  mentioning it
will draw attention to someone who knows more about it]).

Continuing on,  C++ support was added to fix -Wreturn tag (I know I got it
wrong, but you know what I mean), so the only real difference between LFS
and BLFS is BLFS copies libraries to the main tree so that precompiled
binaries could utilize the origional libraries.

Now, I am assuming that LFS's official stance is not to support
precompiled binaries, and people will probably not wish to include
outdated software into the main tree.  The whole point of having GCC
2.95.3 in BLFS is for use with binaries compiled against it.  so I have no
advice, just observations.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org