Updated tar, findutils and gzip?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 12 13:00:49 PDT 2003

Hi guys,

It's time we make our final decision on using those newer programs but that
haven't been officially released yet (meaning appearing on
ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/{tar,findutils,gzip}

Tons of people have used the newer versions already (me included) and haven't
found anything wrong with them. It'll also cut down on patches that we apply
to those three packages now.

In an effort to not turn this into a long stream of "I agree"s and "I don't
agree"s, please only reply if you object to it, and back it up with some
facts. The objection "LFS policy only deals with officially released
software" is hereby superceded. I'm making a policy exception for these
packages. It might happen more in the future if there is a good reason for
it, so let's not get into this debate again.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org