Bug, error and/or question?

Vidar Hoel vhoel99 at grm.hia.no
Tue May 13 07:54:35 PDT 2003

Hi,

After quite some time, and a clean install of Debian to use as my
base, I have gotten past glibc in Chapter 5.. Or have I?

Anyway, I have some comments:

When you get to the part in the book where you shall mount the new
system, include information about the atime-option. It seems like
serveral people had done that mistake, so one extra line will save
quite a bit of recompiling glibc (or just running the test!)

Just a comment, but consider it: The first line in "Glibc
installation" is about the user need to unpack Glibc-linuxthreads. Why
isn't there a command-style, like it is on patches, configure and
make? (The commands in a grey box). It is easy to miss that one line.

And I finally got passed the "make check" on my Debian-base. But, when
I got to "make install" this error came:

test ! -x /mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/elf/ldconfig || LC_ALL=C
LANGUAGE=C \
  /mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/elf/ldconfig  \
                                 /stage1/lib /stage1/lib
/mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/elf/ldconfig: Can't open configuration file
/stage1/etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-2.3.2'

Is this an error to ignore? (Then the book should mention it!). Or is
it just me and my damn luck?

Regards,
Vidar Hoel - vhoel99 at grm.hia.no
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org