localedef in Chapter 5, glibc

Vidar Hoel vhoel99 at grm.hia.no
Tue May 13 08:49:56 PDT 2003

I submit questions and comments as soon as I discover them. (If you
want it an other way, let me know):

The last thing to do with glibc in chapter 5 is "make
localedata/install-locales" Does anyone need this? I mean, isn't
meaningless to have locales for languages you have never heard of? And
never going to use?

That was my impression, so I tried the alternative metod, brifly
described in the glibc's INSTALL-file. But it doesn't work:

lfs at vhoel:/mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build$ localedef -i en_GB -f
ISO-8859-1 en_GB
cannot create temporary file: No such file or directory

lfs at vhoel:/mnt/lfs/usr/src$ localedef -i no_NO -f ISO-8859-1 no_NO
cannot create temporary file: No such file or directory

I tried to change the directory, to ../ and ../glibc-2.3.2, but same
error.

Maybe a bit more text in that chapter?

Regards,
Vidar Hoel - Almost at the end of glibc :-)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org