omission in book for ch5 glibc build [ was Re: Bug, error and/or question? ]

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Tue May 13 10:25:50 PDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003 17:16:52 +0000 (UTC)
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:

> On May 13, 2003 09:34 am, Ryan Oliver wrote:
> > To avoid a minor error during make install of glibc we need to
> > supply a/stage1/etc/ld.so.conf file so ldconfig doesn't complain.
>
> > Just a matter of
>
> > touch /stage1/etc/ld.so.conf
>
> Actually as far as I've been able to determine it's not an error, just
> a warning that can be ignored. "make" should not abort with "Error 1"
> or someting like that. The ld.so.cache file still gets built and, when
> I tested it, has all the proper things in it.
>
> Glibc-2.3.1 however requires that ld.so.conf file and will abort with
> a fatal error. 2.3.2 is nicer about it.
>
> We can add a note to the book about this of course, or re-add the
> touch. Re-adding that touch command is probably the cleaner way to go.
> Just wanted to let you guys know you'll be ok if you don't.

Wasn't there something under the PITA (Pure Iterative Test Analysis?)
thread about the glibc libs/binaries not matching if the /etc/ld.so.conf
file was missing, or was it a configure test that b0rked due to mmap
stuff breaking?  Oh I dunno, can't remember exactly now but it rings a
bell anyway.  Maybe Ryan or Greg can help me out here...please :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org