Removal of removing fixincludes.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 13 20:25:53 PDT 2003

On May 13, 2003 07:35 pm, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> The problem *I* myself see with running fixincludes anywhere during
> chapter 5 is that fixincludes alters the host system's header files.  At
> least, that's always been my understanding of what the fixincludes
> script does, and watching it at work seems to lend to that
> interpretation.  I do not like the idea of modifying the host's files.

GCC is supposed to install fixed includes in lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/

Because that directory appears first in the include search path, fixed
includes are picked up that way without the need to overwrite the headers in
/usr/include.

Unless GCC-3.3 changed this and now writes to /usr/include? I'd expect since
we pass --prefix=/stage1 and --with-local-prefix=/stage1 that nothing on the
host gets overwritten.

And, we install chapter 5 as user "lfs". That user has no write acces to
/usr/include, so I see no danger that the host system gets modified.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org