Importance of "make check/test"

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Wed May 14 15:37:50 PDT 2003

Vidar Hoel said the following on 05/14/03 22:30:
> My little idea: As I mention on a previous post, many people sees the
> "tst-atime.out"-error when they do a "make check" in glibc. I think
> there could be a little footnote or something on that glibc-page in
> the book saying something like: "This commando does often result in an
> error. Please consult the FAQ to see if this problem (with solution)
> is allready known"

I think that's a bad idea. You shouldn't go to the FAQ for information
about the book but for answers which aren't answered by the book because
they don't belong in the book.  There's a subtle difference there (I
hope I made it clear). A FAQ is usually a deviation from the book (it's
procedures, assumptions, prerequisites etc.), while the book assumes you
follow it closely.

> And I totally agree, the FAQ needs more exposure, I didn't think of it
> until you mentioned it now.

Well, it has to be asked a couple of times to be put into the FAQ. So no
harm in asking it, though the FAQ should be consulted before you post to
the mailing lists.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans