Removal of removing fixincludes.

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Thu May 15 15:55:09 PDT 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:05:03AM -0500, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>Greg Schafer wrote:
>>

>>>It does? As the gcc-pass2 simply overwrites the gcc-pass1, I would have
>>>thought the "fixed" headers will still be there in the same location and
>>>thus still playing a role.
>>>

>>It cleans and then writes the directory.
>>

>Indeed it does. This will stop the polluted headers from getting into the
>Ch 6 chroot. Yay!
>
>But like the old method, the next non-glibc pkg (i.e. in this case,
>gcc-pass2) is still prone to build failure. It doesn't fail currently on my
>test builds, but the potential is definitley still there. Mark my words :-)
>
>So we still have a fundamental problem that needs fixing.

We disabled the fixincludes script because it fixed headers that did not
need fixing and it creates problems when never versions of packages are
installed. If the fixincludes script fixes some headers that *need* to
be fixed, the correct way would be to patch the packages whose header
files needed the fixes.

>>One possible solution: Install Gcc Pass 1 with fixincludes, and leave
>>the source around. Once the fixed headers are not required, apply the
>>fixincludes patch to the Makefile (the patch will need to be modified)
>>and run make install.
>>

>I haven't tested that. But my knowledge of the gcc build system and my gut
>instincts tell me that it won't work.

It is not related to the gcc build system at all, after compiling the ch
5 glibc, just cd back to the gcc-build directory, patch gcc/Makefile it
so that fixincludes is not run and then run make install. It will
overwrite the previous gcc-Pass1 files (it is not compiling anything,
just reinstalling).

Instead of patching gcc/Makefile, one more alternative to patching the
Makefile is to cd to gcc-build directory, rm the fixinc.sh script and
then link fixinc.sh script to /bin/true. The Makefile will think it ran
fixinc.sh successfully. This will leave a bogus README, but since this
is Ch 5, it is not that big a deal.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  E-mail:    tushartATabbnmDOTcom