Removal of removing fixincludes.

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Thu May 15 16:40:34 PDT 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 05:55:09PM -0500, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>We disabled the fixincludes script because it fixed headers that did not
>>need fixing and it creates problems when never versions of packages are
>>installed. If the fixincludes script fixes some headers that *need* to
>>be fixed, the correct way would be to patch the packages whose header
>>files needed the fixes.
>>

>With all due respect dude, you seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of
>fixincludes.
>
>Fixincludes allows bootstrapping a new gcc, which would otherwise be
>impossible due to broken and/or conflicting headers ON THE HOST! The
>packages on the host cannot be patched! The headers are already installed
>there and they cannot be changed!

Correct me if I am wrong, but here is how I understand it:

   1. binutils compiled against host headers.
   2. gcc-pass1 compiled against host headers and the broken headers are
      fixed by fixinc.sh.
   3. glibc compiled.
   4. toolchain adjusted to only use /stage1.
   5. all 'fixed' headers removed since they patched the host headers
      (either Ryan's grep method, or the method mentioned in my previous
      mail).
   6. gcc-pass2 compiled against new glibc (without fixincludes since
      there should be nothing to fix, the only headers it refers to are
      in /stage1/include). If the build fails here because of incorrect
      syntax in some header in /stage1/include, then it indicates that
      the stage1 glibc headers are incorrect in which case they should
      be patched.

>>It is not related to the gcc build system at all, after compiling the ch
>>5 glibc, just cd back to the gcc-build directory, patch gcc/Makefile it
>>so that fixincludes is not run and then run make install. It will
>>overwrite the previous gcc-Pass1 files (it is not compiling anything,
>>just reinstalling).
>>

>Hrm, I seem to be beating my head against a brick wall here :-)

:-) The way I understood the problem was that once glibc is compiled in
/stage1 and the toolchain is adjusted, we need to remove the headers
that were fixed by fixinc.sh (and copied to /stage1/lib/gcc...) i.e.
Step 5 in the above list. Please let me know if I we are talking about
different problems! :)

--
Tushar Teredesai
  E-mail:    tushartATabbnmDOTcom