ch6. coreutils-5.0-hostname.patch breaks make check (CVS 20030514)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 15 19:17:30 PDT 2003

On May 15, 2003 08:13 pm, Matt Bartley wrote:
> > "Don't think first time installs, think reinstalls.(C)" :-)
>
> That's not possible unless we change the package build order.  This is
> in chapter 6, inside a new chroot-ed directory tree.
>
> But yes, if we change the build order this is a trap to watch out for.
> At present, this would require building net-tools prior to coreutils.
> Perhaps not likely since coreutils is the first package built, right
> after the toolchain is complete.

Think in a different scenario.

You finished the LFS book and in a few weeks from now coreutils comes out with
a new version, or you have some need to reinstall the already installed
package. One should be able to use the same instructions as they appear in
the LFS book, because since you already went through the book once, all
dependencies are satisfied. You should not have to reinstall net-tools after
coreutils to fix this hostname problem. Likewise you shouldn't have to jump
through hoops by copying all the files from the coreutils-5.0/src/ directory
manually because 'make install' is going to do something you know you don't
want to be done. That's why the patch is there to prevent these problems and
inconveniences.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org