Removal of removing fixincludes.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 15 19:42:54 PDT 2003

On May 15, 2003 08:21 pm, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> > The only thing I see is that after pass2's make instal there are
> > still fixed
> > includes in /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include which shouldn't be there.
> >
> > Didn't somebody say (Tushar or Ryan I believe) that gcc-pass2's make
> > install will remove the contents of gcc-lib/*/*(/include) so the
> > previously fixed header from pass1 should be gone then.
>
> That was Tushar
>
> Still leaves the problem of compiling gcc pass2 using the original hosts
> fixed headers...

I think the light is dawning.

Those fixed includes must be removed before we start the pass2 build, and
after Glibc has been build.

Too bad the fixed includes don't get their own directory then we could do rm
-r /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/fixed_include_from_host/

Couldn't we patch GCC to seperate gcc private files from fixed-from-host
files? That seems easy enough so it must have been suggested already and
deemed too hard due to confusing GCC internal code. Sounds about right?

Just for the sake of providing alternatives:

A gcc install without fixed includes has 10 header files in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include (this is based on gcc-2.3.2 not 3.3 yet). How
about we move them out of the way, remove all the remaining ones and move the
saved ones back?

mkdir /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/saved
mv /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/\
	{float.h,iso646.h,limits.h,mmintrin.h,stdarg.h,\
	stdbool.h,stddef.h,syslimits.h,varargs.h,xmmintrin.h} \
	/stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/saved
rm /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/*.h
mv /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/saved* /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include

Not very robust to changes, but it looks it might just work. We'd jus have to
re-check this list of header files when a new GCC is released.

Note: these 10 headers are 3.2.3 headers, not 3.3.
Note2: I don't recall what the dir structure looks like when fixed includes
are installed, so the above only serves as a general outline of an idea. I
hope the idea is clear, the exact command will differ.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org