Preliminary GCC 3.3 LFS

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri May 16 16:20:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:52:36PM -0400, Zack Winkles wrote:
> Greg Schafer (gschafer at zip.com.au) wrote:
> > I cannot see anything changed. What am I missing?
>
> I suppose I'll just explain what I did then. The process I followed was
> as such:

Doh! I swear that stuff wasn't there when I last looked at your book version
:-)

> 1. Install binutils-pass1 as normal.
> 2. Install gcc with fixinc. Nothing else changed.
> 3. Install glibc. No changes.
> 4. (Here's the meat) After installing glibc, I removed all the headers
>    that gcc installed, then copied the stuff in
>    /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/install-tools/include to where gcc keeps it's
>    headers (the one's we just removed. This recreates the headers in
>    their entirety as would be done with a non-fixinc gcc install. The
>    only thing missing now is syslimits.h. That is located in the
>    install-tools directory, which we copy to it's proper location.
> 5. Do the rest of the stuff.
>
> It's pretty obvious that nothing of the host remains, but all of the gcc
> headers are still present. It seems to do exactly what we want without
> any vicious scripting.
>
> What's the call Greg? What'd I overlook this time?

I forgot about the "newly introduced with gcc-3.3" install-tools directory.
Extra brownie points to you for thinking of it and using it in your solution
:-)

It will definitely work. But there is a lot more typing in there than the
latest solution Ryan proposed.

None of these solutions are ideal, but the less typing from the book's POV,
the better. Less chance of typos and potential grief.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org