The move to custom XML

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 19 08:56:42 PDT 2003

On Sun, 18, May, 2003 at 11:39:13PM -0400, Timothy Bauscher spoke thus..
> 3. File creation

> <text>root:x:0:
> bin:x:1:
> </text>

<cat type="new">  cat > $LFS/etc/group
<cat type="add">  cat >> $LFS/etc/group ??

> 4. Emphasis
>
> <warning>Don't forget to install Emacs</warning>
>
> <note>This builds the C compiler.</note>
>
> <attention>Do not attempt this fix if you don't have Glibc-2.2.3
> installed.</attention>

Why not just use one tag
<emphasis>
with a few types; type="warning" type="note" type="attention" ?

>  * Should an effort be made to create a profile-like book?
>    ie: A book which can be used for automated installs.

I disagree with Archaic here.  I think it'd be handy to have a XSLT
script which would convert the book XML into an ALFS profile.  It would
save a lot of work.  People would still have to look through it however
(for example, the "if you have glibc-2.2.3 only then do this" parts)

>  * Can the layout be improved? Are there any nicer looking
>    books?

I personally have always like the HTML look of the autobook:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html

which is produced using texi2html.  I don't know whether we'd be able
to do something similar.

> The conversion will be a large, time-consuming task. During
> that stage, book development may have to freeze.

Agreed.  I'm willing to help convert a chapter or two.  Also, should
blfs-dev be CC'd in the discussion to find out if there are any extra
tags which they'd need?  I assume it'd be regarded as appropriate to
include them in the LFS XML markup.  (This assumes that Larry wants to
convert BLFS to use LFS XML).

Mark

"I got off at Durham... and fell in love with it instantly.  Why, it's
 wonderful - a perfect little city.  If you have never been to Durham, go
 there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."
     Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org