The move to custom XML

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon May 19 06:30:37 PDT 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 22:12, Archaic wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:39:13PM -0400, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> >  * Should an effort be made to create a profile-like book?
> >    ie: A book which can be used for automated installs.
>
> Personally, I'd say no. If this is meant to be a learning tool, then it
> shouldn't be automated. Now some may say that they've built lfs many
> times over and want it automated. How much more learning is gained by
> scripting it themselves (as a vast majority of us do, anyway)?

If there is minimal additional effort to structure the XML to facilitate an
automated build system without compromising the primary function of LFS, then
where is the loss?

The gain is that as a sys admin, I don't have to expend duplicate effort on
maintaining my own buildscripts then I will be more motivated to contribute
directly to LFS maintanence/development.  In practice, I have not had time to
stay "current" on an on-going basis so it is a task that gets addressed every
six to twelve months.

Under the current system I see a large gap between the energy I can expend to
contribute and the energy required to implement the docbook XML system
(judging from the pain reported on the mailing lists).

I am all for a scheme that will close that gap.  Whatever that scheme may be.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org