Idea for a sanity check on CVS

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon May 19 21:26:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 02:46:07PM -0400, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Hey Guys -
>
> We've been seeing a lot of occurances of this in lfs-support last few
> days, and I had an idea for a good sanity check for chapter 5.

I already posted about this:-

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/05/0651.html

> Once we've done the lock-in of glibc - for each package after that, have
> the user run a quick ldd on a binary compiled by that package, to ensure
> the linking went well.  So, for example, after the second gcc compile,
> run a quick "ldd /stage1/bin/gcc" to ensure it's linked against stage1
> libs, and so on thruout chapter 5.

No! ldd can be misleading. Imagine you accidentally run the ldd from the
host and not the one in /stage1. Strange results can happen. Trust me, I've
been there and done it :-) The only foolproof method for this sort of thing
is using the readelf utility.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org