build errors and mandrake 9.1

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Tue May 20 03:53:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:30:45 +0000 (UTC)
Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Is it just me, or does it appear most of the support problems we are
> getting on LFS support relate to Mandrake 9.1?
>
> I haven't got a copy of Mandrake 9.1, but would be interested to hear
> from someone who has built Pure LFS from it.
>
> There's far to many for this to be mere coincidence...
> Thoughts anyone?

Maybe release a plfs-drake and watch the problems magically vanish, or
at least get obfuscated so much that noone thinks there's any problems
anymore :)

Seriously though, I thought that a lot of the problems regarding
Mandrake were dealt with by the FAQ
(http://linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#conflicting-gethostname).  Also bear
in mind that we're providing support for people who have problems.
There may well be people who have successfully built PLFS/LFS-CVS from
Mandrake 9.1 but, because they didn't have any problems, we never
heard from them (maybe your plea will help here!).  Also consider that
Mandrake is very much geared towards the newbie hence I would expect to
see more support questions from those using it as a host.  Unfortunately
I don't have the time or inclination to build from Mandrake 9.1 - my
scripts are so Knoppix-centric it's not funny anymore :(

I've done a quick scoot through the archives and can't see anything that
immediately appears as if it's a recurring problem for Mandrake-9.1
users - yes there's 57 messages as a result of
http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi?query=%22mandrake%209.1%22&metaname=swishdefault&start=45
but they were either FAQ related or were resolved fairly quickly/easily.
Are there specific issues you thought Mandrake-9.1 has (e.g. bad
glibc/gcc/binutils versions)?

Regards,

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org