build errors and mandrake 9.1

Ryan Oliver Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Tue May 20 04:42:31 PDT 2003

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Seriously though, I thought that a lot of the problems regarding
> Mandrake were dealt with by the FAQ
> (http://linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#conflicting-gethostname).  Also bear
> in mind that we're providing support for people who have problems.

I must admit I have been only scanning over support of late, seeing
Mandy pop up a bit there, just wanted to put the feelers out to see if
these were the exception, not the norm...

> There may well be people who have successfully built PLFS/LFS-CVS from
> Mandrake 9.1 but, because they didn't have any problems, we never
> heard from them (maybe your plea will help here!).

I hope so

> Also consider that
> Mandrake is very much geared towards the newbie hence I would expect to
> see more support questions from those using it as a host.  Unfortunately
> I don't have the time or inclination to build from Mandrake 9.1 - my
> scripts are so Knoppix-centric it's not funny anymore :(

I would give it a go, but I've run out of available hosts :-/

It's because Mandrake is geared to the newbie that I am worried a
little, due to the install base and its target we don't want the newbie
to see too many errors...
If the solution is FAQ, excellent :-)
If there's something underlying in the mandy build however...

> I've done a quick scoot through the archives and can't see anything that
> immediately appears as if it's a recurring problem for Mandrake-9.1
> users - yes there's 57 messages as a result of
> http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi?query=%22mandrake%209.1%22&metaname=swishdefault&start=45
> but they were either FAQ related or were resolved fairly quickly/easily.
> Are there specific issues you thought Mandrake-9.1 has (e.g. bad
> glibc/gcc/binutils versions)?

I'm hoping there isn't, but without doing a build myself I
wouldn't know...

Just thought I'd pop this thread up for some feedback in the absence of
me doing any hard work myself ;-)

So all, who's running a nice shiny new lfs-cvs/plfs built from Mandy 9.1?
First one up gets a free LART for beating me around the head with ;-)
(the second, well, you can just point and laugh)

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org