Idea for a sanity check on CVS

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 21 17:31:28 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 01:11:25PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On May 19, 2003 10:26 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > No! ldd can be misleading. Imagine you accidentally run the ldd from the
> > host and not the one in /stage1. Strange results can happen. Trust me, I've
> > been there and done it :-) The only foolproof method for this sort of thing
> > is using the readelf utility.
>
> What kind of strange things?

It will return wrong or misleading info.

ldd is an sh script.

It hardcodes a reference to the dynamic linker e.g.:-

RTLDLIST=/lib/ld-linux.so.2

A problem is most likely to happen when mixing different libc versions e.g.
host has glibc-2.2.5, target has glibc-2.3.2

Running the ldd from host (with the hardcoded ref to /lib/ld-linux.so.2) on
binaries linked against the /stage1 libc will do... who knows what? :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org