Propose of a new FAQ entry (setting LANG and LC_ALL variables)

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Sat May 24 02:48:03 PDT 2003

Hi:

I am suggesting this entry because it has happened to me some times (as
a Spanish saying goes: "Man is the only animal which stumble twice over
the same stone"), and I have seen the same issue in the mailing lists
several times (not very often because there is no problem if the output
from gcc and ld is in English). But I have also seen it some times in
the linux-desde-cero mailing list (a low-traffic mailing list for LFS
discussion in Spanish).

I would contribute the entry text but, as you have realized, I am not a
native English speaker, so I post a summary of the error and the
solution.

Symptoms:

    ./configure output:
        checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
        checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
        checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no

    The package to be compiled produces no shared libraries.

Cause:

    The variables LANGUAGE, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_* are set to a value
    other than 'C' or 'POSIX' (specifically, to a value of a non-English
    speaking country). If the configure script parses the output from
    gcc to guess the linker it uses, and the messages are not in
    English, it cannot guess correctly the system. An example I have
    found in a config.guess script (from glib-1.2.10):

	ld_help_string=`cd /; ld --help 2>&1`
	ld_supported_emulations=`echo $ld_help_string \
			 | sed -ne '/supported emulations:/!d
				    s/[ 	][ 	]*/ /g
				    s/.*supported emulations: *//
				    s/ .*//
				    p'`

    But it happens in other packages, with config.guess scripts with
    lines like the above.

Solution:

    Unsetting the localization variables or setting it to 'C' or 'POSIX'
    before running ./configure should fix this issue:

        unset LANGUAGE LANG ${!LC_*}

    or

        LANGUAGE='POSIX'
        LANG='POSIX'