Current Ch 5 Commands

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat May 24 17:26:33 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:39:51AM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On May 21, 2003 08:26 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > Ch 5 - Perl - currently has:-
> >
> > make perl
> > make utilities
> >
> > That could be simplified down to:-
> >
> > make perl utilities
>
> True, but we can also run "make all install" on every other package (or
> whatever "all" is to be replaced with), or even make all check install
> install-info and so forth.
>
> I assume the reasoning for splitting make, make check and make install is
> clear, that same reasoning can/should be applied to Perl's make perl and
> utilities as well. It's a matter of drawing the line. If we combine the perl
> make's into one make command, everybody and his neighbour will get on our
> case to do the same with the make and make install and everything in between
> commands too.

Strongly diagree. The distinction between "make" and "make install" is clear
and would be obvious to anyone with even 1 fifth of a clue on how to install
a package.

The book is full of streamlined build commands. Not only that, there is
already precedent for multiple make targets in the Ch 5 util-linux package.

make -C mount mount umount

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org